|Position Title:||Computer Support Specialist|
|Contract Type:||Fixed term|
|Duty Station:||Vienna, Austria|
|Salary:||Annual gross salary starting at 65,910 EUR|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
The International Monitoring System Division (IMS) is a technical division that applies engineering and science to develop, install, certify, maintain and sustain stations around the world as well as related analysis products. The monitoring stations are based on four different sensor technologies (seismic, hydroacoustic, infrasound and radionuclide).
This position is located in Network and Systems Support Section (NSS), International Monitoring System Division. The NSS provides all office automation, collaborations, and core infrastructure services to the rest of the Organization.
Under the supervision of the Head, Help Desk and Deployment Unit, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide proficient first level incident response and end-user support to Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) Users relating client computing services;
- Perform daily Service Desk functions in accordance with the CTBTO Information Technology Service Management based on ITIL (i.e. incident, problem, change, capacity management);
- Assist in the provisioning, deployment support and maintenance of client computing devices (desktops, laptops, mobile devices, and related peripherals based on MS Windows, iOS, Android and Unix/Linux platforms;
- Assist with basic tasks relating the procurement of goods and services of IT equipment and relevant software;
- Assist with the provision of client computing support to conferences, trainings, and related events;
- Assist in the development of specifications for new computer hardware purchases, take delivery of new equipment, ensure that it is properly registered and stored and keep the inventory of issued equipment up-to-date and contact vendors in relation to guarantee repairs;
- Respond to moderately complex requests and inquiries by providing technical guidance remotely to enable users to solve problems;
- Lift and move IT equipment on regular basis
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completed secondary education and training in a field relevant to the work.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least five (5) years of relevant working experience with client and technical support in computer and network operations;
- Knowledge of common desktop hardware and software platforms is essential;
- Good knowledge of standardized service desk processes and procedures is essential;
- Working knowledge of client computing support to multinational conferences, training and related events is essential;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft products and its cloud services (Windows, M365 apps, Teams, Exchange Online, OneDrive) is essential;
- Working knowledge of the Active Directory environment is essential;
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networks is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or German is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- This position is for local recruitment only. Only candidates holding a valid residence and work permit in Austria will be considered eligible.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process.
Grades and Salaries in UN
- Grade G means General Services: Staff is locally recruited and they provide administrative and support services in both headquarter and field duty stations. Read more about grades in UN organizations here.
- UN Salary scales for staff in the General Service and related categories, following the link.
To apply for this job please visit career2.successfactors.eu.