|Position Title:||Talent pool for Machine Learning Expert|
|Contract Type:||1 to 6 months|
|Salary:||Daily base salary starting at $180 (USD) / Depending on experience|
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
The Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB) fulfills the objectives of the Union relating to telecommunication standardization, by providing secretariat support to groups studying technical, operating and tariff questions and facilitating the adoption of Recommendations in these areas with a view to standardizing telecommunications and information technology on a global basis. In order to achieve these objectives, the Telecommunication Standardization Bureau works in accordance with the instructions of the World Telecommunication Standardization Assemblies (WTSA), Telecommunication Standardization Study Groups and the Telecommunication Standardization Advisory Group. TSB, headed by an elected Director, provides the technical, administrative and logistic support for the assemblies and for the meetings of the groups mentioned.
Within the Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB), the Telecommunication Standardization Policy Department (TSP) is responsible for the policies guiding ITU-T and the maintenance of its relevant position in the global standardization arena. It oversees the implementation of the WTSA Action Plan, and is responsible for identifying emerging technologies and analysing technology trends in order to advise membership on emerging standardization developments. The Department is also responsible for the bureau’s communication, human resources, finance, membership functions, academic initiatives and the ITU Journal, a periodical dedicated to research topics in telecommunication and ICTs.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the supervision of the Chief of TSB/TSP, the expert will:
- Analyse the impact of Machine Learning in the standards making process, in particular the interplay of data -> problem statements in ML Challenges -> standards -> code -> data.
- Analyze the role of standards to manage data pipelines, which feed Machine Learning models.
- Analyze the role of model repositories and auto-generation of models and their impact on the standards making process.
- Analyze the role that Natural Language Processing and Large Language models may have on the standards making process.
- Identify research problems in Machine Learning related to ITU’s body of work.
- Curate, in collaboration with universities and companies, problem statements to be used for Machine Learning Challenges.
Strategy and implementation plan on how Machine Learning can assist the standards making process.
- Knowledge of designing, developing, and researching Machine Learning systems, models, and schemes.
- Knowledge of the standardization process, in particular information and communication standards involving Machine Learning.
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL), web servers (e.g. Apache).
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
University degree (or advanced degree) in computer science/engineering, software engineering, information technology, mathematics, sciences or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education, with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
At least five years of experience in the field of Machine Learning.
Fluent in spoken and written English.
Depending on experience.
Selected candidates will be placed on a roster. Vacancy notice will be open until the end of December 2022.
INFORMATION ON RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the ITU Careers website. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview. ITU uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided. Messages originating from a non ITU e-mail account – @itu.int – should be disregarded. ITU does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
ITU applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. ITU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. Achieving gender balance is a high priority for ITU.
Consultants in the UN
- Useful information about remuneration for Consultants, Experts and other personnel in UN you will find them also in the link here.
- UN Individual Contractors and administration of temporary appointments more details you will find in the link.
- Useful information about Special service agreements (SSA) in UN you will find them also in the link here.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.itu.int.