|Position Title:||Roster for telecommunication/ICT statistics programme|
|Grade:||Consultant – 1 March to 31 December 2023|
|Contract Type:||Varies from 15 to 80 working days|
|Salary:||Daily rates salary US$ 185 to $280|
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems.
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
The Digital Knowledge Hub Department is responsible for providing best practices and information to support the public policy decisions of ITU Member States. This department provides a platform for the members, as well as for external entities such as researchers, the private sector and other development agencies, to obtain critical information on digital trends, information society developments and digital skills. In addition to consolidating ITU’s position as the recognized global source for regulatory information and ICT data, this department is responsible for the work of ITU-D Study Groups. Finally, this department provides capacity and digital skills building programmes.
The ICT Data and Analytics Division collects and disseminates vital data, including on the access and use of ICTs and on ICT affordability. It carries out world-class research to track and make sense of digital transformation globally. The Division is hiring consultants to support its activities.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the supervision of the Head of IDA Division, the consultants will be involved in various activities, based on needs and on the consultants’ competencies and experience. IDA staff will provide the necessary training, guidance, and guidelines to the consultants. Tasks may involve:
- Collecting telecommunication/ICT statistics.
- Conducting desk research on telecommunication/ICT.
- Verifying data collected by other consultants and IDA staff.
- Exchanging with, and validating statistics provided by Member States.
- Collecting information from various sources, including company reports and trade associations.
- Inputing/Retrieving data and metadata into/from IDA database.
- Analysing telecommunication/ICT data and writing short analysis.
- Computing estimates and providing detailed documentation.
- Intervening in training workshops and information sessions.
Concrete deliverables and the deadline for their submission will depend on the tasks. Deliverables may include:
- Clean dataset of ICT prices collected by the consultant, detailed metadata (e.g., names of price plans, URLs, screenshots, exceptions) and explanations by the consultant.
- Print outs of correspondence with third parties, including email exchanges with countries.
- Detailed documentation, including on modelling, assumptions, estimation methods, data) used for estimation.
- Drafts of analytical pieces.
- Research notes, summaries, and compilation of documents (e.g. reports, articles).
- Presentation slides.
Excellent quantitative and analytical skills, great curiosity, and attention to details. Excellent drafting skills and ability to produce high quality reports and documentation in English.
Education: At least a first university degree in statistics, economics, engineering, international relations, or business OR an equivalent level of education and specialization in a field relevant to the post.
Experience: At least three years of research experience in collecting, processing and analyzing statistics.
Experience at the international level and in the field of telecommunication/ICT statistics would be an advantage.
Languages: Knowledge of English at advanced level. Knowledge of one or more UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) would be an advantage.
Daily rates salary to be defined according to the minimum requirements and the candidate’s years of experience in the field of expertise (3 to 4 years of experience: US$ 185 / 5 to 6 years of experience: US$ 230 / 7 to 9 years of experience: US$ 280).
INFORMATION ON RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the ITU Careers website. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview. ITU uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided. Messages originating from a non ITU e-mail account – @itu.int – should be disregarded. ITU does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
ITU applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. ITU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. Achieving gender balance is a high priority for ITU.
Consultants in the UN
- Useful information about remuneration for Consultants, Experts and other personnel in UN you will find them also in the link here.
- UN Individual Contractors and administration of temporary appointments more details you will find in the link.
- Useful information about Special service agreements (SSA) in UN you will find them also in the link here.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.itu.int.